Making a difference in our neighborhoods
starts with strong partnerships.
Our Partners in the Community
About the Entertainment Industry Foundation
Founded in 1942, the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF) is a multifaceted organization that occupies a unique place in the world of philanthropy. By mobilizing and leveraging the powerful voice and creative talents of the entertainment industry, as well as cultivating the support of organizations (public and private) and philanthropists committed to social responsibility, EIF builds awareness and raises funds, developing and enhancing programs on the local, national and global level that facilitate positive social change. Some of EIF's programs include Stand Up To Cancer, EIF Women's Cancer Programs, the National Colorectal Cancer Research Alliance, and a national education initiative that includes the new Hunger Is program to solve childhood hunger in America.
<< Back to Top
For more than four decades, Special Olympics has been organizing athletic games for people with intellectual disabilities. Safeway has raised more than $9.4 million for Special Olympics to fund 21 Special Olympics programs in 20 states, plus The District of Columbia. These funds are carefully invested into the neighborhoods where they are collected.
Using funds raised by The Safeway Foundation, Special Olympics:
- Offered free training and competition opportunities year-round to more than 13,000 individuals with intellectual disabilities in Northern California
- Gave approximately 1,800 athletes in Illinois, many of whom live at or below the poverty level, the chance to advance from local competitions to sectionals, districts and state tournaments
- Provided the equivalent of a full year of service for an astounding 711 Special Olympics athletes in Texas.
<< Back to Top
The Safeway Foundation is a major fundraiser for breast cancer research at the top research centers in the United States and Canada. Because of advances in early detection and treatment, millions of women are surviving breast cancer today. In the last nine years, Safeway has raised a total of $108 million for breast cancer awareness and research.
Our donations contribute to cutting-edge trials and programs, including the I-SPY Trials, which are designed to accelerate the development of more personalized clinical breast cancer trials. Since the launch of the I-SPY Trials, scientists have reported findings that could influence the way researchers screen, treat and assess the prognosis for women with advanced breast cancer.
The Safeway Foundation has also launched an aggressive breast cancer awareness and detection program by partnering with regional medical institutions to support mobile mammography programs.
Our funding from last year alone:
- Provided over 15,000 mammograms for women who would otherwise not had access to services through our mobile mammography screening
- Provided almost 20,000 people fighting breast cancer with the ability to check online to see if there is a clinical trial for prevention or treatment of breast cancer that might be right for them through www.breastcancertrials.org
- Will benefit over 150,000 women in the Athena Breast Health Network in just the next 5 years. Athena's mission is to save lives by transforming how we deliver care today, learn from our patients, create life-changing science, and improve prevention and treatment options tomorrow
- Will make it possible to reduce the cost and the amount of time it takes to approve new breast cancer treatments by half through our sponsorship of the I-SPY 2 Trial, an unprecedented new clinical trial design, which is enrolling women all over the country
<< Back to Top