Help Us End Childhood Hunger
1 in 5 children struggle with hunger. Throughout April, we will be raising money to help support Hunger Is, a joint charitable program between The Safeway Foundation and the Entertainment Industry Foundation designed to raise awareness and improve the health of hungry children in America.
Research shows that children who eat achieve higher math scores than children who lack adequate access to food, and also miss fewer days of school, which can increase their likelihood of graduation from high school. Yet despite these statistics, a staggering one in five children in the America still struggle with hunger.
Academy Award-nominated actress Viola Davis, Ambassador for Hunger Is, hopes to shine a brighter light on a widespread problem that too often goes unnoticed. She was one of those children that went to school hungry. "I am honored to join The Safeway Foundation and the Entertainment Industry Foundation to bring this problem the attention it deserves and raise funds that will help end childhood hunger in this country," said Viola.
During April 1 - May 3 shoppers will have the opportunity to help solve childhood hunger by donating at their local Safeway and select Albertsons stores or online by clicking on the Donate button below. The program will continue year-round with more information and opportunities to donate at HungerIs.org.
We're raising money for veterans November 7th-11th
Last year we raised over $672,000 for veterans in just four days through donations made by our customers and employees, and we're doing it again this year. In honor of Veterans Day, donations made from November 7th through 11th will support career retraining, stress counseling, social activities and rehabilitation programs for veterans in your local neighborhood. The Safeway Foundation is honored to help our local heroes through the generosity of our employees and customers.
Join us in the stand against breast cancer
Breast Cancer is the second-leading cause of cancer death in women in the U.S., and 1 in 8 American women will be diagnosed in her lifetime. That's why we're dedicating the month of October to raising funds for breast cancer research-so more women can live to embrace a new day.
This year, we've teamed up with Stand Up To Cancer, a program of the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF), which raises funds to accelerate innovative cancer research. We're excited to feature Stand Up To Cancer Ambassador Wanda Sykes in our in-store breast cancer campaign, as well as in print, radio and online PSAs.
We're offering two ways to donate in our stores. You can purchase our limited-edition bag for $4.99, with $2.14 from the sale of each bag to benefit The Safeway Foundation to fund breast cancer research. Or you can donate any amount at the register.
In the last 12 years, Safeway has raised over $115 million for breast cancer research. The funds go to national and local organizations that support breast cancer research and awareness in your neighborhood.
As many as two thirds of cancer cases in the U.S. are related to environmental factors, which include preventable causes such as tobacco use, obesity, poor diet, and lack of physical activity. Consider some of these suggestions:
- Be proactive. Cancers can be hereditary, so talk to your doctor about any history of cancer in your family and how it might affect your risk.
- Eat your greens. Studies have found that people who eat large quantities of fruit and vegetables can lower their risk of cancer by about a quarter compared to those who eat the least.
- Maintain a healthy diet. A healthy diet can also help you maintain a healthy body weight, which in turn can reduce your risk of cancer.
- Tell your friends to quit smoking, and offer to help however you can. Almost one-third of all cancer deaths could be prevented by eliminating the use of tobacco products. (From NCI)
- Stay active. Poor diet, physical inactivity, and overweight/obesity may account for about 25-30 percent of several of the major cancers in the United States.
- Use sunscreen year 'round. Unprotected sun exposure can cause melanoma - the most common form of cancer in men and women ages 25-29
- Early detection is key, and it's important to monitor any changes in your body. Knowledge is power. Be your own advocate.
- Donate. Every dollar you contribute brings more hope to our mothers, daughters and best friends. But we still need your help to get closer to ending cancer's reign as a leading cause of death.
Go to Stand Up To Cancer to read more about what SU2C is doing in the fight against this disease.
Check back soon to see our fundraising results from recent campaigns.
- Prostate Cancer
- People with Disabilities
- Breast Cancer
The Safeway Foundation Story
Since 2001, Safeway and The Safeway Foundation have donated over $1 billion to non-profits and charities. Watch this video to find out how Safeway and The Safeway Foundation have nurtured the lives of our neighbors.